Songtsam Linka Shangri-la since 2009, altitude 3300 meters
Songtsam Linka, only 25 minutes from Diqing airport, is nestled within a typical Tibetan farming village.
Our 75 rooms and villas, dining facilities, spa and other amenities are housed in lovingly hand-built stone structures spread over 21 acres of hillside surrounded by snow-capped mountains. The Linka Songtsam is a member of the MGallery Collection from Accor Hotels & Resorts.
Songtsam Linka — the top destination for business in Shangri-La.
• Scale: 75 rooms • Room size: 33 m²—130m²
• Room type: Standard Room, Superior Room, Junior Suite, Superior Suite, Villa
• Facilities: conference facilities, oxygen machine, parking facilities, gift shop, take-away shop.
• Services: express check-in and check-out services, postal/courier service, foreign currency exchange service, laundry & valet service, babysitting/child care, room service.
• Address: behind Songzanlin Monastery, Shangri-la County, Diqing Autonomous Prefecture
• Transportaition: 20 minutes from Shangri-la(Diqing) airport by car
Step into our rooms and be embraced by instant warmth and cosiness. All rooms at The Songtsam Linka are filled with locally handcrafted furniture and fittings that capture the essence of Tibetan-style decor, including hand-laid timber floors, oak wall panelings, Tibetan rugs and copper bath tubs. Our suites feature oversized bed platforms sitting above the living area complete with a cozy fireplace.
Let your imagination run wild with OM Studio adventures. Soak in dramatic sights on horseback, explore the quaint neighbouring Kena village, visit the Nixi Village of pottery artisans, or trek through the various hills and mountains guided by an experienced guide. Prefer something more personalised? Why not take a private tour of the Songzanlin Monastery before anyone else gets there or an afternoon monastery visit followed by an authentic Tibetan dinner in the local farmhouse, or a picnic with your loved ones on the Shangri-La plains surrounded by wild flowers? At OM Studio, we are proud to offer a range of customised experiences that promise unforgettable breathtaking memories.
Songtsam Shangri-la(lvgu) Lodge since 2001, altitude 3300 meters
this small lodge has been a base for travelers from around the world for ten years.
The lodge is housed in a traditional Tibetan dwelling
within a self-sufficient farming village
where founder Baima Dorji spent his childhood.
Although most of the rooms are modest in size,
they excel in creating a true feeling of home.
• Room type: Standard(twin), Superior(double), Deluxe(double/twin)
• Facilities: Library/conference room, open rooftop, wifi, Tibetan restaurant
• Address: Next to Songzanlin Monastery, Shangri-la County, Deqing Autonomous Prefecture
• Transportation: 20 minutes from Shangri-la (Diqing) airport by car
All rooms are decorated in Tibetan style, balanced with modern comforts, while a collection of hand-picked antique furniture and traditional intricately woven carpets are featured throughout the lodge.
• Guided visit to Songzanlin Monastery
• Learn about local NGO cultural preservation initiatives in Shangri-la's Old Town
• Village walk and dinner party with a Tibetan family
• Guided hikes
• Explore nearby mountains and valleys on horseback
• Bicycle ride to Napahai Lake
• Practice Tibetan Buddhist meditation
ABOUT THE AREA
Shangri-la has been long pictured as a paradise-on-earth, with its majestic landscapes, diverse cultures and deep spirituality. Located in a wide valley, Shangri-la is surrounded by mountain ranges on all four sides. It is the capital of the Diqing Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, and the gateway to the ancient Tibetan kingdom. The region is characterized by snow-capped mountain peaks, pristine forests and lakes, as well as traditional Tibetan villages with white-walled and richly-decorated buildings. There are many beautiful hiking routes to explore the mountains, lakes and idyllic villages and pastures.
The original name of Shangri-la is Gyalthang in Tibetan (or Zhongdian in Mandarin Chinese), which means in the middle of a field. It was officially renamed to “Shangri-la” after the mythical paradise of natural beauty in James Hilton’s book, Lost Horizon. In addition to its mythical references, the stone-paved old town of Shangri-la was once an important stop for trading caravans along the ancient Tea and Horse Road.
The 5th Dali Lama built Songzanlin Monastery in 1758. Modeled after Lhasa’s Potala Palace, the Monastery is home to more than 700 monks. Walking onto the Monastery’s grounds, listening to the monks’ chants, it is hard for the experience to feel anything but enlightening.
Songtsam Benzilan Lodge since 2011, altitude 1900 meters
Songtsam Benzilan features 10 spacious guest rooms,
all decorated in modern Sino-Tibetan style.
The lodge is surrounded by authentic
white-walled Tibetan homes
and has views of a small prayer house that rests atop a hill.
Songtsam Benzilan Lodge
• Scale: 10 rooms • Room type: Superior (double/twin) • Room size: 25 m²
• Facilities: Meditation room/library; restaurant; roof-top terrace; wifi (public areas)
• Location: Benzilan, Deqin County, Diqing Autonomous Prefecture
• Transportation: 3 hours by car from Shangri-la (Diqing) airport
• Lacquered wooden bowl painting workshop
• Learn how to make traditional black pottery in Nixi village
• Guided visit to Dongzhulin Monastery
• Meditation practice with a Tibetan master
• Hike through Benzilan valley, and traditional Tibetan villages
• Guided mountain and forest hike
• Night of Tibetan dancing
It takes only 10 minutes from the busy little town of Benzilan to reach this hidden valley seemingly removed from the outside world. A few pieces of precious antique carpets and furniture display in different Songtsam lodges were collected from the villages in this area; and that’s how Baima Dorji found this location unknown to outsiders.
About the area
Benzilan stands on a narrow strip of land on the right bank of the Upper Yangtze River, tucked between the water and the sharply rising hills. As the altitude falls by more than 1, 000 meters, so the temperature rises, and travelers now arrive at another Shangri-la rich in blooming flowers and flourishing trees. Some of the best tasting grapes and watermelon during the summer and tangerines in the fall are also produced in this area.
The little town of Benzilan was once one of the most important stops of the
Ancient Tea and Horse Road. Althoug the glory of the once charming trading post is gone, fortunately the surrounding countryside remains intact; traditional handcraft survives from industrialization, leaving a glance into the history of this famous trading road. Dotted with farms, small temples and some of the most pristine Tibetan villages, the countryside here is an ideal place to experience tranquil village life, and appreciate well-preserved local culture and traditions.
A short hike leads to more pristine Tibetan villages and original forests in the mountains with stunning views of the lush and deep Yangtze River gorge - a journey of true discovery.
Dongzhulin Monastery sits forty minutes away from Benzilan on the way to Tibet. Although not as popular among tourists, it is a significant destination for the local Tibetans. The Monastery has several “living” Buddhas and each year the Mask Dancing Ceremony attracts thousands of followers. It was built in 1667, before Shangri-la’s Songzanlin, and at one time housed treasures which rivaled those of Lhasa’s Potala Palace. Unfortunately, Benzilan was badly damaged during the Cultural Revolution. The current structure was restored in 1987.
Songtsam Tacheng Lodge since 2011, altitude 2000 meters
Songtsam Tacheng enjoys a comfortable climate
and boasts the region’s most fertile land.
All 9 spacious yet cozy rooms face beautiful terraced rice fields.
This lodge is elegantly designed to showcase fine Chinese art and style;
big windows and balconies enable guests to take in the beautiful rural scenery from the lodge.
The year round mild climate yields an abundance of fruits and nuts,
growing alongside terraced fields of rice, wheat and grapes.
Songtsam Tacheng lodge
• Scale: 13 rooms • Room type: Superior (Double) • Room size: 25 m²
• Facilities: Outdoor pool, restaurant, wifi (public areas)
• Location: Hada village, Weixi Lisu Autonomous County
• Transportation: 4.5 hours from Lijiang, 3 hours from Shangri-la by car
TripAdvisor’s Travellers Choice in 2016 has ranked Tacheng as No.1 in its Top 25 small hotels in China, based on the evalution and comments from real travellers
- Guided hikes through beautiful villages, fields and rural areas
- View Golden Monkeys in Baima Nature Reserve
- Visit a local family
- Hike or walk through local Naxi village,
- Night of local dance, or other activities arranged by the Lodge
About the Area
Tacheng County, only three hours by car from Shangri-la, is located between the Yangtze and Mekong Rivers, where some of the best old-growth forests in the world can be found. This is one of the most fertile valleys, yielding, among other crops, plentiful amounts of rice and fruit. The semi-wild boars, which feed on wild nuts before winter, make the best ham in the world. Tacheng is also famous for its rich Tibetan culture and Naxi and Lisu villages, with charming, distinctive black-roofed farmhouses.
The rare Yunnan Golden Monkey (Rhinopithecus biteti), is one of the world's most endangered primates: less than 2,000 can be found in the wild. They live at the highest altitude of any primate (3,000-4,500m), excluding humans.
The journey down the Mekong River from Meili to Tacheng is simply incredible. Within only 250 kilometers, the road winds through vastly differing landscapes, and includes: descending from high to low altitude and from colder to warmer climates; Tibetan and Lisu culture; buckwheat crops and rice fields; and different styles of architecture. From Cizhong to Tacheng, the countryside is incredibly beautiful. Industry is absent and the area’s natural beauty remains untouched. As passers-by, travelers will see farmers singing in the fading light while working in the fields.
Songtsam Cizhong Lodge since 2013, altitude 2200 meters
French missionaries ventured into landlocked valleys
in Yunnan province to share their religion.
A century later,
the churches that remain in these regions continue to thrive.
Cizhong Catholic Church,
where service in Tibetan is still held every Sunday,
is the most beautiful of these churches,
even after many years of disrepair.
Songtsam Cizhong Lodge
• Scale: 10 rooms • Room type: Superior Room • Room size: 25 m²
• Facilities: Outdoor pool, restaurant, wifi (public areas)
• Location: Cizhong village, Deqin County, Diqing Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture
• Transportation: 7 hours from Shangri-la by car
• Guided hikes through Catholic Tibetan villages
• Chat with elderly villagers at their local Catholic church
• Sip tea with a local family
• Wine tasting at a local vineyard
About the Area
At the bottom of the Upper Mekong River valley, Cizhong lies in a fertile green field dotted by prayer flags, farm houses, and waterfalls. A hundred years ago, French missionaries ventured over land to northern Yunnan province, the gateway to the heartland of Tibetan Buddhism. A century later, the churches in these regions are still thriving.
Cizhong Catholic Church is the most beautiful of these churches. First built in 1867 and rebuilt in 1909, the building combines Gothic features with characteristics of Chinese architecture. Despite many years of disrepair, the architecture remains and some of the wall paintings and façade survived the Cultural Revolution. Services in Tibetan are held every Sunday.
The village community includes both Christians and Buddhists, with the two groups living peacefully together. Numerous hiking routes take you into the mountains.
Songtsam Meili Lodge since 2011, altitude 3600 meters
local Tibetans and global travelers come to worship Kawagebo,
the major peak of the Meili Snow Mountain Range
and one of the holiest mountains in the larger Tibetan region.
Specifically designed as a respite along this spiritual pilgrimage to Kawagebo,
the Songtsam Meili lodge was built in an untouched village away from any tourists
and overlooking the majestic mountains.
Songtsam Meili Lodge
• Facilities: Library, roof-top terrace, restaurant, wifi (public areas)
• Location: Gujinong village, Deqin County, Diqing Autonomous Prefecture
• Transportation: 4-5 hours by car from Shangri-la airport
Hovering above 3,600 meters, the Songtsam Meili’s 17 guest rooms are furnished with large comfortable beds, sofas, and timber flooring, providing a warm atmosphere that combines rustic charm with modern comforts. Most rooms also feature a cozy fireplace.
• Guided hikes and walks
• Local family visits
• Fantastic views of Meili Snow Mountain Range
• Prayer ceremony
• Night of Tibetan dancing and bonfire party
About the area
The Meili Snow Mountain Range is a sub range of the Hengduan Mountains which run north to south, marking the boundary between Tibet and Yunnan province.
Meili Snow Mountain Range is remarkable for its impressive chain of glaciated peaks, rising more than 6,000 meters high. At sunrise and sunset, the soft sunlight illuminates all thirteen peaks. As of today, none of the major peaks have been summited. Standing at 6,740 meters, the main peak, Kawagebo, is the first of the six most sacred mountains in Tibetan Buddhism. Tibetan Buddhists believe that Great Spirits dwell in the mountains and over 10,000 pilgrims make the 240 kilometer trek circumnavigating the mountain each year.
The scenic drive from Shangri-la to Meili winds through lush temperate and alpine forests, crossing the Baima Mountain Pass at 4,292 meters. The Yangtze drainage area lies on one side of the pass and the Mekong on the other. On emerging from the pass onto a steep descending road, the Meili peaks soon appear in the distance.
Baima National Reserve, a UNESCO designated world heritage site, is one of the few truly wild places left in China. Nearly all of the world’s species of rhododendron originated from this area. There are even still a few spots where red pandas and snow leopards roam free.
Songtsam Choekyi Linka Lhasa since 2017, altitude 3600 meters
• Room type: Superior suite (double bed / twin bed),Deluxe suite(twin bed)
• Facilities: restaurant（Chinese/western); cafe shop; boutique; lobby;covering wireless;
• Location: Lhasa County, Tibet Province
• Transportation: 1.5 hours by car from the Lhasa Gonka international airport
Like other lodges, Songtsam built the Lhasa Lodge away from regular tourist trails, but overview from the Songtsam Lhasa to Potala Palace.
Linzhi and places which are on the road from
Yunnan to Tibet.
It is considered to develop a Bhuddist circuit within Tibet,
as an increased demand for spiritual tourism is continously requested.
Songtsam Lijiang Lodge will open in June, 2017
Songtsam Zhuka Lodge will open in March, 2018